Sunday 4 March 2012

I'm A Tree Follower

I love trees and have a favourite willow tree that resides on a nature reserve about half an hour from me.  I have been following it for about 5 years now.  I love the idea of Loose and Leafy's to follow a tree for a year in my blog... http://looseandleafy.blogspot.com/2012/02/its-good-time-of-year-to-see-shape-of.html
Seems like a really good idea.  So I'll try to update you each month on my chosen tree. 

I decided that my tree won't be my willow tree as the new owners of the nature reserve have restricted access to the area where the willow is.  I think my 2012 tree will be a five foot high Japanese Flowering Cherry that I rescued from a garden centre last year.  It was in such a sorry state and was in the 'Bargain Bin' coz it looked almost dead.  Well it has survived the winter and is now bursting into leaf.  So this is my choice.

Here is my tree in July 2011 after a couple of months of taking care of it (terrible picture I know... but I can't find another one).



Now it is coming into leaf.



It has quite a bit of lichen on it.... so I hope it is going to be ok. 

A little closer to show the lichen ......




.... and closer still.



The picture below shows a different type of lichen on my tree......


.... and closer......


.... and very close up.


It looks like someone sculptured some plasticine or clay and stuck it on.


It is lovely to see the leaves developing. 

Perhaps by next month the tree will be in full leaf and have some blossom developing.

The above photos were taken yesterday in sunshine.  Today we have rain!


But I went out to see how much the cherry tree had changed..... and here is what I saw......



..... rain drops and cobwebs (do those leaves look more open to you?)............



...... and more rain drops like jewels ......



The rain totally changes the look of the tree doesn't it.  Makes things look brighter, fresher......... and tomorrow all will be clean again........... and, hopefully, the sun will come out again.

Hope you enjoyed hearing about my tree.  I may follow another tree as well, but I've yet to decide :-)

Perhaps you will let me know if you are following a tree and then I can come and have a look at your blog.

Have a wonderful week.  Blessings, Willow x

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you're now officially following a tree - although I know you've been doing so for years, and like most of us, probably all your life! I hope your little cherry makes it. Certainly the shoots look healthy and I loved the raindrops like jewels pics! Thanks for a great post xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely pictures Willow I might try with a teeny Rowan I have x

      Delete
  2. This is one of the delights - to see changes, not just between seasons but between one minute and the next . . . and have an extra reason to go near and examine things right up close and in detail.

    So pleased to meet your tree!

    ReplyDelete